Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

> Let's be clear what this is.  I have to get *permission* from someone
> else, to run a program on my own computer.  To actually use my
> computer to do my stuff, I have to take extraordinary steps to get
> someone else to grant me access.  That's *fundamentally wrong*.

No, we need to be clear that you do *not* have to get permission from
someone else to run a program on your computer.  You can get
permission from *yourself* by using your own signing key.  The only
downside is that you can't distribute your custom kernel without also
providing the signing key to whomever is going to *also use it with
secure boot* (they are free to disable secure boot, of course, or sign
it with their *own* key, just like you did).

This "new world" doesn't tie you to Microsoft or any other company.

--
Chris