Re: [OT] Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

On 05/06/12 22:12, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

> Then for computers with very high uptime secure boot is moot, they'll
> get compromised while running and happily join botnets all the same.
> Attacks targeting the bootloader aren't common, they usually are
> targeted attacks of the kind that will succeed no matter what hardware
> or system you are running. For the more paranoid among us many other
> solutions exist, which are probably far more secure than UEFI "secure
> boot".
> Every time someone try to restrain your freedom he'll say that it's for
> your own security, this isn't any different.

For me secure boot could be useful, but only in the case of the owner
installing is own key and signing what he allows to run. Think a company
who wants that its computers run only the approved versions of OSes (and
that means not any linux/windows, but the one configured for the company
information system).

ANd that's not the way vendors want us to take.