Re: Troubleshooting Debian

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:07:06 +0900, DragonDon wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> I know this will be a rather difficult thing to answer I think, but are
> there any generic steps listed somewhere on how to troublehshoot a
> problem on a Debian/Linux system?

Uf... "experience" is our best ally here. I always say that a computer is
not a fridge :-)

> I understand that each problem can be rather unique on how you approach
> it but I have yet to see a kind of flow-chart or at least some
> guidelines (did a quick search of the Debian FAQ and the LDP) and
> nothing was immediately obvious.

I remember a nice flowcharts for debugging the basics of computing
related problems (mostly hardware) but they were general, not aimed for a
specific software/OS problem.

> I was kinda looking for a:
>
> 1/ Check logs.  Insert ways to check various logs (both CLI and GUI)
> 2/ Type commands (for networks use command A, for video use command B,
> for....)

(...)

The nature of the problem will render those step-by-step guides almost
useless. I mean, depending on the error or misfunctioning you are
experiencing you'll have to follow different steps; one size does not fit
all, I'm afraid :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón