Re: Setting up the scanner

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 21:34:04 +0200, steef wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 23:19:11 +0200, steef wrote:
>>
> <..........................>>
>>> further: the udev structure in the mint os is quite different from the
>>> udev structure in squeeze.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> But you don't have to follow the instructions "word by word" but
>> understanding what the problem can be and adapt the same idea to your
>> Squeeze system.
>

> .......of course. you are right. i did that but it did not yet work out
> well.

Nope, you didn't; because if so you had discovered the "scangearmp"
utility earlier ;-P

>> Also, don't stick to xsane, use the Canon app and also try with Gimp.
>
> this is a very good idea. after all those years with xsane i have
> developed a pavlov-reaction like  scan = xsane.
> i found /usr/bin/scangearmp and can start the scanner now as root. i
> will change the permissions later.

No, no, no... I mean, don't do that manually, use "udev" rules as the
forum post states, just don't read the instruction so literally, try to
mimic what it says but making your own conclusions.

> in the meantime i can do "sudo chmod 666 <scanresults" to help on my
> youngest daughter who somehow was in a great hurry with a couple of
> university examens.

There has to be a file ("/lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules") in your
system (this file in included within the package "libsane"), you only
have to make the modifications in there as the post says. If you already
did it so, please post here (or upload elsewhere) the full content of
that file so we can check.

> i thank you very much for your patience with me

Well, patience has a price. I didn't mention but the Lord of the Nazgûl
needs some fresh meat to feed its beast >>>:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón