Re: [OT] Re: Computer case

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:45:01 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Hi Camaleón,
>
> the cases I own are around 14" high. I could place any case <= 26" high.
> I like the relatively unobtrusive design of CHIEFTEC, but I don't trust
> the sidewall catch.
> Since better cases seems to be expensive, I'm googleing for 19" wide
> cases at the moment. Most of my music gear is 19" too. I placed the gear
> on shelfs, but I tend to switch to a 19" cabinet, to get rid of the wide
> and lengthy shelfs. A tower could be > 26" high, if I would get rid of
> the shelfs.
> The only issue, a 19" or a new tower computer case + a 19" cabinet is
> above my financial scope.

So you look for a racked cabinet? 19" chasis are quite huge and lengthy
but if have the required space, they're perfect when it comes to put your
hands on them (adding cards, removing cables, changing the power supply
is a child's play...) :-)

Also, remember that depending on the racked height (<=2U) you will have
to search for low-profile/half-height PCI cards.

> If a huge case is nearly empty, doesn't it tend to be an acoustic
> resonator?

Mmmm... I can't tell (the rack room I manage is so noisy that I can
barely hear anything but the noise coming from the dual power supplies :-
P) but there are kits in the market aimed to solve the unwanted sound
which usually include foam pieces for the covers and silent-blocks to
avoid vibrations coming for the moveable components (hard disks, fan
screews, etc...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón