Re: Web browser gets slow and blocks the system

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 10:58:27 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> Just for you to get the idea, in my system (64-bits with 8 GiB of RAM),
>> Firefox takes "99 MiB" of real memory (now 101 MiB)... go figure.
>
> Wow, that isn't much! I have 8GB as well, my SeaMonkey is currently
> using over 1,700 MB (resident)... that is with about 95 tabs open
> (normal for me). When I had 4GB RAM, it would take a lot less than that
> for that many tabs, though (more like 1,200 MB, I believe).

Ah, I guess you never close your browser, right?

I do (I close the browser), I never have Firefox opened more than 1
minute or so with a few tabs (no more than 10) and I have it configured
to delete all the cache data every time it closes... still, 100 MiB of
RAM is too much for me and the way I use the browser (I think windows
does a better memory management in this regard).

> In any case, the point is all modern browsers want a lot of memory.

Yes. In addition, I also have noticed that 64 bits applications are
noticeably more memory hungry than their counterparts in 32 bits which
can be irrelevant when you have 8 GiB of RAM but it can make a difference
when using 2/4 GiB instead...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón