Re: Programs for direct friend-to-friend file transfer?

On Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 09:34:55 -0500, green wrote:

> Brian, you seem to be assuming that the router has a public IP (on the WAN
> side), which is often not true.  Unfortunately, many ISPs provide their
> customers with only private/local IPs behind NAT; inbound connections are
> therefore not possible unless the ISP agrees to forward a particular port or
> port range.

Implicit in my reply was that assumption. It is what I am accustomed to,
even though my own ISP offers the facility you describe. Thank you for
pointing out how different ISPs allocate addresses. I will try to
remember that a router may not have a routeable IP address. Given a
choice of ISPs, I'd not choose one who imposes what you describe.