Re: Programs for direct friend-to-friend file transfer?

Hello Brian,

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 02 Jun 2012 at 12:41:22 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:
> > Do you have a have public IP address (either IPv4 or IPv6)? If
> > that is not the case, you will need a third party in order to
> > establish the connection.
>
> A third party is not required. For the occasional transfer of files the
> address (if it changes) may be obtained from the router and emailed to
> the friend.

No. I was not referring to a static but to a public IP address. If
the user has a public, i. e. internet-routable IP address, everything
is fine, even if it is not static. However, if the user sits behind a
NAT or something similar that blocks incoming connections, a third
party certainly is required (such as a file transfer proxy for XMPP).

Lacking more information from the OP, speculation is all I can do,
though.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
One is often kept in the right road by a rut.
		-- Gustave Droz