Re: Setting up the scanner

Camaleón wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2012 23:09:19 +0200, steef wrote:

hi camaleon and others of course,

i installed printer-drivers for the pixma mp280 from a new zealand sit;
and the scanner drivers too. the mp280_printer is now working well,

Hey, good to know it worked.

but squeeze cannot find
   the scanner drivers so xsane sys 'no', do it yourself' and is driving
   me insane.

(...)

Run xsane with root priviledges to discard a permission problem. If that
works and root can find the scanner and use it, you will have to edit (or
create if the file is not present) the udev rules to set the right
permissions for your device.

In the meantime, you can also try to get an image from The GIMP or
another application that allows capturing from this kind of hardware.

Greetings,

........ yes i did that already: starting xsane under root: xsane under root did not find the mp280_scanner. so i am stuck i guess. before i conclude that definitely i will see into udev. lsusb gives me -of course, because the machine is printing- the codes of the mp280. debian_squeeze sees the machine. it could be a software problem, allthough i can find the gimp-scanner plugin and the scanner in /usr/bin and /usr/share. i put these files (/usr/share &&) allready in /etc/ld.so.conf (sudo ldconfig) but that did not help. should i do something in /etc/sane.d/canon_pp.conf?? lsusb gives me:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04a9:1746 Canon, Inc.

thanks a lot so far,

steef