Intel 82830 in motion computing slate

I am working with a motion computing m1200 series slate computer which uses the intel 82830 graphics card.  I have tried the following things to make it work

disable KMS
use VESA
manually generate the xorg.conf file and mess with it
generally reinstall and see if it automagically configures

I should point out that this computer had a fully functioning windows install on it that was having no trouble working with graphics.

I started off by installing just the debian 6 shell and confirming that I could get as far as a text console.  This bit worked and I was able to update as well as install the xserver-xorg package.  I then installed kde as my window manager of choice, and installed xinit in order to start X a bit easier.  Now is where the fun part begins.  Upon discovering that I could not start X, I tried the methods above.

Disabling KMS had no effect, either in the i915 file or at the boot options line.  Using the VESA driver failed due to a bit depth issue which was uncorrectable due to the next issue.  When trying to manually generate the xorg.conf file, I am given the message that the number of created screens does not  match the number of detected devices.  Lastly the reinstall of X, and KDE failed to solve the issue.  I have installed the latest version of the xserver-xorg-video-intel driver yet still nothing behaves as it should.

I know just enough about the command line to be dangerous, and so it is entirely possible that somewhere, I missed a step in installing packages.
All help is appreciated.