Re: Improve leafnode

On Tue, 29 May 2012 14:29:32 +0200, daniele.g wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 28 May 2012 16:38:12 +0200, daniele.g wrote:
>>
>>> Leafnode on Debian uses a script do-fetch-news, which cron run
>>> periodically, that checks the variable $NETWORK in
>>> /etc/news/leafnode/debian-config. This variable can have two possible
>>> values: "PPP" and "permanent".
>>>
>>> I think that a third value is missing, we can call it "online". Useful
>>> when leafnode runs on mobile devices for example.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> "Ppp" should cope that scenario (non-permanent connections) or what's
>> what you are missing? :-?
>
> PPP only triggers when a ppp* interface goes up.

When there's a Internet connection (dial-up, ppp dsl, umts...) in place,
right?

> I'd like to make it more general.

More general in what way, exactly? What kind of scenario do you have in
mind? I ask because your suggestion (if found useful by the package
maintainers) could be also added in the Debian package without needing to
use to a sed script or something like that.

> A solution I'm working on is a script which use sed to toggle $NETWORK
> between PPP and permanent when the laptop is online, I only would like
> to know how to run this script from inside interfaces

I'm not sure if that would work as you expect given the way it is
configured now because the service has been already started so in order
to alter the $NETWORK variable you'll have to restart or reload the
leafnode service every time that variable changes, is that what you
want? :-?

Anyway, you can take a look at the networking docs:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html#_scripting_with_the_ifupdown_system

Greetings,

--
Camaleón