Re: Need advice on cloning Debian server

On Tue, 29 May 2012 12:35:40 +0800, Joe Aquilina wrote:

> I am relatively new to Linux/Debian and need some advice on "cloning" a
> Debian system.

Then I'd ask for someone with more experience can help you with this
because cloning a full system on different hardware with the setup you
describe is not an easy task. Seriously.

> At work we have a Debian file server, running Squeeze, which needs to be
> cloned to new hardware and then the old machine will be retired. It is a
> file server for a small office, has 4 smallish SATA drives and is setup
> with RAID 5 and LVM.

(...)

I used in the past Clonezilla (LiveCD) to achieve the same but with a
simpler setup (non-raided, non-lvm system), so the main things to care
about would be the LVM volume, the raid layout (I think Clonezilla does
not support mdadm, you will have to manually configure the raid) and also
the boot loader.

Rsync, as you mention, can be also an option but I can't comment on this
because I have no previous experience in cloning with that tool.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón