Re: Sound on Squeeze

On Tue, 29 May 2012 17:55:22 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, all!
>
> On a new installation of Squeeze the sound is muted.  I have checked
> Alsamixer and made sure that master and PCM are not muted, as
> recommended by Claudius. But sound is still muted.
>
> A large part of the problem is that I am a total ignoramus when it
> comes to sound, so although i have launched both Alsamixer and Kmix
> (consecutively, not simultaneously!), I can see nothing wrong.  But
> as I don't know what to look for, (other than, thanks to Claudius,
> the 00s in Alsamixer for Master and PCM), that is not surprising.
>
> Where do I look next?  And for what do I look?

Probably tutorials on Linux sound...

Very first question: is the user in the audio group? Absolutely vital.

Next quick question: do you have more than one sound device e.g.
motherboard and USB sound card? If so, you may be looking at the wrong
one. Start by looking in /proc/asound to see if what's there looks
right, and if there is more than one cardN directory, usually but not
always starting with card0.

The utility called speaker-test which is in alsa-utils is useful. It
only makes noises, but it's quicker to use than locating an MP3 file
and player, and then wondering whether the player is working. Just type
speaker-test at a prompt and kill it with ctrl-C.

--
Joe