Re: Debian 6.0 64 Bit : Putty

On 2012-05-29 11:51:25, Matty H wrote:
> Hi, I've recently installed a VPS with Debian 6.0 64 bit.
>
> The server is fully capable to handle it, And for some reason when i
> try to go through putty, The connection times out ?
>
> Any ideas ?

Can you ping the host?  What happens if you telnet to the machine
port 22?  You should get a banner:

allan@vent:~$ telnet localhost 22
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.8p1 Debian-4
^]

To me it sounds like you have a firewall between you and the host
that drops your packages.  The only thing specific to Linux is
iptables, and as root you do:

iptables -nL

to see if there any rules are defined.

sshd, by default, will do DNS lookups on the client hostname.  It
will sit for a while, but then I usually still get a login
prompt.  You disable that behavior by adding 'UseDns no' to the
server you are trying to connect to in
the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

/Allan
--