Re: x11 graphics card conf

On 29/05/2012 12:35, Filipe Freire wrote:
> Dear All!
>
> I am running debian squeeze on a PC with intel i5 and graphics card:
> VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated
> Graphics Controller (rev 09)
>
> x11 freezes if I go to console and back to x11 or when we switch
> users.  Need a quick fix please.
>
> With the new debian there is no xorg.conf and could not find a
> solution with the info I found around.
>
> Any help with be very welcome.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Filipe

Filipe,

see here for more info:
    http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

An excerpt:

What if I do not have an xorg config file?

If xorg.conf is missing for some reason, Xorg will probe your hardware on every startup.
Though this works fine in most cases, some settings remain inaccessible.
To create a starting point for customization, do the following:

Switch to a console as root (not a terminal emulator in X), then run:

/etc/init.d/gdm stop
/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
/etc/init.d/kdm stop
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
cd /etc/X11/
Xorg -configure

Alternatively, reboot the machine in single user mode, then run:

cd /etc/X11/
Xorg -configure

Follow the on-screen instructions. This should give you something to work with.

Run X

After installation run:

startx

or as root run: