Re: [SOLVED... sort of] Wheezy printing problem: 2 identical (?) machines and 1 does not print PDFs

On Sun, 27 May 2012 08:56:04 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> My problem is solved: I am able to print with both machines, although
> graphics appear to be very slow. Then why "sort of"? I do not know which
> driver I am actually using...

Congrats for the solved problem :-)

Then... to know what's the driver you are using, open "http://
localhost:631" and go to the printer's tab page. From there, locate your
printer and look at the "Manufacturer and model" line, it should be
printed there.

(and yes, as I already told you, a PS driver will be slower than PCL, but
you can adjust the printer's output quality and lower this value; also note
the more memory has the printer, the better to speed up your printings)

> After reading the discussion between Brian and Camaleón (and some
> suggestions in private mail, thanks to all) which centred around "to PS
> or to PCL, that's the question", I decided to remove everything on both
> machines that even vaguely has something to do with printing (OK,
> without removing Gnome completely). I re-installed Cups and tried all
> drivers that came for the HP2000 DTN without any improvement. Then I
> (accidentally) un-installed the printer-driver-postscript-hp package,
> re-installed it again. After this I had two *identical entries* for the
> HP LaserJet 2200 Postscript driver in the CUPS browser based
> administration tool (not in the Gnome GUI btw). If I use the first entry
> in the list it does NOT work. But if I use the second entry, I can print
> on both machines.

I always use "one" driver for my printers which I get from the
manufacturer's site or visiting "http://www.openprinting.org/printers";
and I never had any problem. As the CUPS package cannot always contain
the most updated file, I prefer to fetch them from upsatream, whether
possible.

> The source of the CUPS administration tool shows (notice the 2 entries
> for HP LaserJet 2200 Postscript on line 8 and 9):
(...)
> <OPTION VALUE="postscript-hp:0/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_2200-ps.ppd" HP LaserJet 2200 Postscript (recommended) (en)
> <OPTION VALUE="postscript-hp:1/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_2200-ps.ppd" HP LaserJet 2200 Postscript (recommended) (en)
(...)

> I do not know the difference between the two, other than the empirical
> proof that the first entry does not work and the second does.

According to openprinting, the best driver for your printer is "hplip" so you
should be using the PS driver provided by that package, either the "0" or the
"1", as they are the same. Why the first does not work? I can't tell, both are
using the same PPD file, it could a "phantom" detected instance.

Anyway, having different instances for the same printer pointing to
different drivers is always a good idea, so you can leave whatever ppd
works for you and keep as the default printer the one using a PS driver.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón