Re: Dual head Intel i7-2600S and DQ67SWB3

On 05/25/2012 12:06 PM, Claudius Hubig wrote:
I am a bit confused about your actual aim: Do you want both screens
in clone mode all the time, or in clone mode during boot and span
mode within Gnome?

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

My goal is at least one monitor displaying during POST, GRUB, boot, and login, and then span mode 2 x 1600x1200 on the desktop. The Nokia 445Xi can do 75 Hz and the 445XiPlus can do 87 Hz at that resolution, but I would settle for 75 Hz on both monitors.

Frankly, I wouldn’t care about grub or early boot and then use
xrandr, which appears to work fine, within Gnome on startup (don’t
ask me how, I don’t use Gnome) to set the screens to the preferred
layout. If your preferred mode of operation is not available here,
you can try to add it using xrandr --newmode before then switching to
it. The manual page on xrandr is quite good, I think.
I don’t think you need the xorg.conf file.

STFW I've posts about xrandr, but I'd prefer to get this working via CMOS settings, motherboard/ monitor connections, xorg.conf, and gnome-display-properties. I'll play with xrandr in any case.

Any other suggestions?

David