Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:23:51 +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> I finally got my LSI 9240-4i and the Intel SAS expander.
>
> Unfortunately it prevents the system from booting. I only got this
> message on the screen:
>
> megasas: INIT adapter done
> hub 4-1:1.0 over-current condition on port 7
> hub 4-1:1.0 over-current condition on port 8

How bad, but don't panic, these things happen ;-(

Are you running Squeeze?

> I also got the over-current messages when the LSI card is removed.

And you installed the system with no glitches and then it hangs?

> Here's the output of lsusb:

(...)

What's the point for listing the USB devices? :-?

> Nevertheless I think the module for the card should be loaded but then
> it somehow hangs.
>
> And after a while there are more messages which I don't understand. I
> have taken a picture:
> http://666kb.com/i/c3wf606sc1qkcvgoc.jpg

Something wrong with udevd when listing an usb?? device or hub.

> Then there are lots of messages like this:
>
> INFO: task modprobe:123 blocked for more than 120 seconds. "echo 0..."
> disables this message
>
> Instead of modprobe:123 also modprobe:124, 125, 126, 127, 135, 137 and
> kworker/u:1:164, 165 are listed.

Those messages are coming from the kernel side but I can't guess the
source that trigger them.

> I can enter the BIOS of the card just fine. It detect the disks and by
> defaults sets jbod option for them. This is fine because I want to use
> linux RAID.

Mmm... the strange here is that there is no clear indication about the
nature of the problem, that is, what's preventing your system from
booting. Can you at least get into the single-user mode?

> May this problem be the same:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30359.html
> Should I try a firmware upgrade?

(...)

Wait, wait, wait... that looks a completely different scenario (different
driver -mt2sas-, different raid card, encryption in place, different
error...). And while updating the firmware is usually good, you better
first ensure what's what you want to correct (we still don't know) and
what firmware version solves the problem.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón