Re: WiFi issues after upgrade on Sid, wlan0 ; No such device

On Mon, 14 May 2012 23:36:29 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> My problem was resolved with an `aptitude dist-upgrade` which removed
> some obsolete packages and allowed new things to get upgraded, including
> a new kernel. I was being cautious with `aptitude upgrade` and `aptitude
> safe-upgrade`, but now I see the value of dist-upgrade.

When running a rolling flavour (eg., wheezy or sid) you have to do "dist-
upgrade", this way you ensure to keep your system in a similar state to
what developers expect. A dist-upgrade will automatically do its best for
updating packages, removing unused ones and keep your system as "fresh"
and "reliable" as possible.

But don't blindy let the updater to do such changes and carefully read
what it proposes before hitting the "y" key :-)

> * Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [120512 22:23]:
>> On Thu, 10 May 2012 19:02:30 -0700, John Magolske wrote:
>>
>> > I'm running Sid on my ThinkPad X200s, and after an `aptitude upgrade`
>> > the WiFi is experiencing intermittent problems. Pretty sure it's not
>> > the hardware, as I've never experienced these issues before and this
>> > started happening exactly after the upgrade.
>> > [...]
>>
>> lsmod | grep iwlagn
>>
>> Wifi driver modules usually depend on others and you have to remove all
>> of them to satisfy their dependencies and they can be unloaded
>> successfully (as root, "modinfo iwlagn | grep depends" will tell you
>> more about this).
>
> Thanks for the tip. Not sure what this would've looked like before the
> dist-upgrade state...but now it's like so:

Most probably the outpute would have been the same.

>     % lsmod | grep iwlagn
>     % modinfo iwlagn | grep depends
>       depends:        mac80211,cfg80211

Okay, so in order to unload the driver you have first to remove these two.

>     % modinfo iwlagn | grep -A 1 filename
>       filename:       /lib/modules/3.2.0-2-686-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwlwifi.ko
>       alias:          iwlagn
>
> ... looks like iwlagn is now an alias to the iwlwifi module, which has
> replaced iwlagn as of Linux 3.2. In any case, WiFi is working fine now.

Yes, the driver was replaced since kernel 3.2, I think.

>> >     % uname -a
>> >     Linux ... 2.6.38-grml #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 24 15:10:58 UTC 2011
>> >     i686 GNU/Linux
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Mmm, why is that you are using such an old kernel? :-?
>
> As mentioned above, I'd been neglecting to do a dist-upgrade, so some
> old obsolete packages were preventing the install of a new kernel, only
> allowing it if 440 packages could be removed. After doing a
> `dist-upgrade` i was able to install 3.2.0-2-686-pae with no fuss, and
> things are working fine now.

Ah, good to know :-)

Well, if you are using Sid (or testing) to keep the system's integrity you
should have all the packages up-to-date.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón