Re: chroot or virtual machine

On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:45:58 +0200, David Sastre Medina wrote:

> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 07:13:23PM +0000, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm planning on setting up my new media server.
>>
>> So I was thinking of putting mythbackend, logitech media server,
>> rtorrent, nfs, samba, etc. into virtual machines.
>
> A virtual machine for every server? On what purpose? Is it about
> security?

No no, not each in separate one.
But let's assume I want to switch from mythtv 0.24 to 0.25. Now I'd like
to test it before I replace the working version.
I think this should be possible with chroot too but I don't know if I can
adapt the init script.

Or if I get a mess with library versions I can have separate ones. I
can't remember exactly but I needed a newer python version which was
depended on a new gcc.
Maybe I can put the new libraries into the chroot envirmonment and still
have the stable ones on the normal system.

I have never used chroot before. So I have no clue what it's really used
for. I read that you can change the root directory for a program.
Does it also work for daemons?

Maybe I have to install a second Debian as described for Gentoo by
Raymond described in the link. But is there a "stage 3" tarball for
Debian too?

Best regards
Ramon