Re: black screen after boot up on fresh net-install (Nvidia quadro, Debian 6.0.4); trying to get to terminal mode

On 2012-05-14 19:26 +0200, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On a Dell Precision workstation, there is an Nvidia Quadro card with a
> weird connector in which we have a "dongle" thing that provides plugs
> for four monitors. I've been running RedHat Linux 5.5 for a while and
> decided to try the Debian net installer
>
> The graphical install proceeds as usual (I've done Linux installs at
> least 50 times), the packages install, the grub install is fine, the
> system restarts, I choose Debian, and some lines display very quickly
> before the monitors turn off. In the graphical installer, the mouse
> and the display work fine. Unlike the olden days, the installer never
> comes to a "configure X11" section, it never asks me to choose a
> driver or whatnot.  So I have no idea what settings it has assumed.
>
> I've rebooted and in the kernel line replace "quiet" with "text" and I
> can see more messages scroll by quickly, but very early in the process
> the monitors turn black. I have no way of knowing if the system is
> running in the dark, I've tried to ssh into the system,but there's no
> answer.  But, then again, I don't know if the sshd service is running.
>
> I see various posts about the black screen after startup issue, but I
> don't find anybody who seems to understand the cause.

Those have different causes, but often there's a miscommunication
between the monitor and the kernel graphics driver.  Probably that's the
case here, since KVM switches often provide incorrect data.

> If you know what to do, or if you can give me some of the proper
> terminology to describe this problem, then I can Google some more.
> "black screen of death" was my first guess :), but that leads to a lot
> of posts about Windoze :)

To get a running system, boot with the "nomodeset" kernel parameter,
hopefully this gets X up with the vesa driver.

Cheers,
       Sven