Re: Files and directories showing in CLI but not in GUI

On Sun, 13 May 2012 15:43:50 +0000, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> On 5/13/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Run "mount" and put here the output.
>

> $ mount
> aufs on / type aufs (rw)

(...)

Are you still running from a LiveCD media? If yes, why? :-?

> /dev/mapper/vg1-home on /mnt type ext3 (rw)

That has to be the damaged volume. Was it added automatically by the
system or is that you manually mounted?

>> By defaul, Nautilus does not show hidden directories (.my_dir) nor
>> files (.my_file), but I suppose this is not the problem here, right?
>
> No.  I wouldn't expect hidden files and directories to show.  I don't
> see a permissions problem, either.

Yes, I also think so, I mean, that permissions have no direct relation
with the problem.

> Here is a listing of the directory showing only the non-hiddden sub
> -directories.  I have also left in any error lines that were
> generated.  (Remember that this was an LVM volume that was in a VG
> spread over three partitions, two of which were on a dying disk and I
> did a pvmove to migrate all of the data to the new drive.  I believe
> that fsck does show errors on this filesystem.  Could that cause the
> GUI to not find files and directories that the CLI can find?)

(...)

Yes, that can be the cause. A corrupted or severe damaged filesystem can
fool nautilus and prevent from files and folders to be displayed (and
even more if it was a part of spread LVM volume). Look, even "ls" is
having problems ("I/O errors") to show them.

You can, however, try with another file browser, just to compare with the
Nautilus output, but I think that would be irrelevant for the main
problem.

> I count 14 directories that DO NOT show up in Nautilus and 6 that DO.
>
> I have not yet checked if there are any FILES that are not showing up,
> but I am hoping that whatever gets the directories to show would work on
> files, as well.

(...)

I wouldn't bother about that now (given the status and history of the
data) and start from scratch should the hard disk present no hardware
problems.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón