Re: [not sure if OT] empty DVD menus with k9copy and devede

On Fri, 11 May 2012 10:14:12 -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

> [snip] KDE profile ruled out.

Okay.

>> Then maybe is that something have changed in between. I mean, are you
>> using the same versions of "k9copy" and "devede" that you were using
>> before you reinstalled the system? :-?

> No, I'm not running the same version of devede, but running the same
> version of k9copy.

Mmm...

> devede 3.21.0 was last updated on Apr 30 - that was AFTER the problem
> already appeared. That means the old version was still installed when
> the problem reared its ugly head. That's why I suspect libraries or
> "helper"-programs.
>
> k9copy 2.3.8-3 was updated Mar 14 - BEFORE the problem appeared. That
> means that k9copy 2.3.8-3 was working perfectly until something else was
> upgraded.
> Again that's why I suspect libraries or "helper"-programs.

I would center the problem in devede and its related libraries because
k9copy does not looks like a program to make the DVD menus but for
mastering the final copy.

>> > Right now I'm trying on another box with the same Wheezy
>> > installation. If it works there, I shall have something to work on
>> > and to analyze the differences.
>>
>> Yes, good point. Regardless the result at least you'll can grab some
>> conclusions.

> Unfortunately the problem is the same on the other box. That lets me
> conclude that the problem started with an update after Apr 24 but before
> Apr 30.
>
> dvdauthor had not been upgraded during this time. libxml2, mencoder,
> libav* (ffmpeg libraries) have been upgraded. Downgrading libxml2 does
> not change the behaviour. I out-ruled libc6 too.

If you can reproduce the problem from another system I would contact the
packagers/developers of both applications and ask them about this, and
not because the error is located at the programs but they'll can point
you to the top suspicious libraries that can be triggering the problem.

>> Well, "dvdauthor" is one of the pieces of the chain but the problem can
>> be located elsehwere (e.g., "deveve" can be generating bad/corrupted
>> projects that render the menus unusuable).

> Yep, but what about k9copy going bad at the same time?

Yes, but k9copy seems to be an application mainly for backup with little/
no intervention in DVD menu creation.

> They both share
> dvdauthor which uses libxml2
> libavcodec53
> libavformat53
> libavutil51
> mencoder
>
> With mencoder and libavcodec, libavformat and the whole ffmpeg caboodle
> I'm running into serious dependency-problems when downgrading. devede
> complains about not finding mencoder when mencoder_1 is
> force-depends-installed. So: no luck.

Have you considering upgrading, instead? I don't if this can be a complex
task or maybe you can try to get the upstream packages and compile by
yourself (should you have a running virtual/testing machine you can run
these test from here with less headaches) :-?

> What puzzles me is that I got the problem on two very different boxes
> (hardware-wise) and nobody else seems to have these problems.
>
> I'm afraid I'm hitting a stonewall here and am seriously thinking about
> installing Squeeze on one of the boxes.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions and concern. Eike

I bet you'll get more replies by asking in the corresponding mailing
lists, I mean, from where you got the packages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón