Re: ACPI Menagement

On Fri, 11 May 2012 22:57:58 +0200, ricccardo wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 15:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> And is the above data right? I mean, does it coincide with the battery
>> information the power applet displays?
>>

> Hi, the information are obtained with the power chord unplugged.

Well, you don't need to remove the power for running "acpi -V", it's just
a requirement for powertop to make an estimation :-)

> I notice that the result of "powertop" and "apci -V" are different.

It can be. I find the "acpi" command not to be 100% reliable. Moreover,
when you run it on desktops in barely outputs useful data:

sm01@stt008:~$ acpi -V
     Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
     Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
     Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10
     Cooling 3: Processor 0 of 10

Which says nothing.

> ric@ricmbp:~$ acpi -V
> Battery 0: Discharging, 75%, 01:04:08 remaining
> Battery 0: design capacity 4851 mAh, last full capacity 3520 mAh = 72%
> Adapter 0: off-line
> Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
> Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
> ric@ricmbp:~$ sudo powertop
> PowerTOP 1.11   (C) 2007, 2008 Intel Corporation
> Power usage (ACPI estimate): 315.8W (0.1 hours)

Looks right. Are you still receiving the error?

> The two results seems to be different.

Well, let's see. Of course both outputs differ, that's normal because
they're different utilities focused for a different usage. The acpi
command is just an approach to the status of the battery and some acpi
stuff while powertop is a more complete tool that helps you to save
energy and money, it scans your system energy usage and makes nice
reports and recommendations on how to save a bunch of watts :-)

> Furthermore, the battery information displayed by the power applet
> sometimes are divergent from the results of the "apci -V". I mean the
> battery indicator is red (about 4%) but "apci" says 66%.....

I wouldn't worry about that. Should I have to trust one of them I'd go
for the GNOME applet :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón