AWE64 Gold is Easy to Kill

	About a year ago, I installed a SB AWE64 Gold sound card
as the second sound card on a lenny system. It was rather
difficult to get going and resulted in a few questions to this
list, etc, but I finally got it running which in the Linux world
means that you get a SB16 out of it which is okay with me.

	I upgraded the system to Debian Squeeze and the AWE64 is
dead again and I am running out of things to try.

	If you list /proc/asound, the only sound card on the
system is card0 which is a CS4237B which is okay as card0 and
which also seems to work as it did before the upgrade.

	The SB16/AWE64 shows up in the syslog during boot just
after the CS4237 so it doesn't vanish totally, but I bet there
is a piece of firmware missing because it is so absolutely dead
after that one little mention.

	The kernel is linux 2.6.32-586 and there are some
modules whose names start with sb16

/usr/include/sound/sb16_csp.h
/usr/share/doc/alsa-firmware-loaders/sb16-csp
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sb16.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sb16-csp.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.32-5-686/kernel/sound/isa/sb/snd-sb16-dsp.ko
/sys/module/snd/holders/snd_sb16_csp
/sys/module/snd/holders/snd_sb16_dsp
/sys/module/snd_pcm/holders/snd_sb16_dsp
/sys/module/snd_hwdep/holders/snd_sb16_csp
/sys/module/snd_sb_common/holders/snd_sb16_csp
/sys/module/snd_sb_common/holders/snd_sb16_dsp
/sys/module/snd_sb16_csp
/sys/module/snd_sb16_dsp

	In an earlier posting, I mentioned that on one ocasion,
audio at the wrong speed was coming out of the SB16 when it
should have been found at the output of the CS4237. I then
discovered that the file libmtp7.rules should have been in
/etc/udev/rules.d but wasn't and when I put it there, the CS4327
came back to life and is as good as ever. During the time when
the SB16 was acting as the primary sound card, a listing of
/proc/asound showed a SB16 as the one and only sound card.

	Any ideas as to what I am still missing?

Thank you.

Martin McCormick