Re: Panning the screen to get an usable GNOME desktop in netbooks

On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:45:17 -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 01:47:47PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > Do you have an xorg.conf?
>>
>> No, that's deprecated since Squeeze. But I can try it :-)
>
> Sigh. The downside of xorg.conf is that it forces you to understand what
> decisions the X server needs to make. The upside is that it allows you
> to change those decisions.

True is that I don't miss the xorg.conf anymore and "xrandr" usually does
a good job when using the intel driver... unless you hit a bug like the
one I get when try to set a virtual screen :-)

>> > If so, does it set a virtual screen size?
>> >
>> > SubSection "Display"
>> >    Virtual 1024 768
>>
>> Okay, I will generate the file manually:

(...)

>> When starting gdm3 I only get a black screen with the GNOME cursor but
>> nothing more. And I can't jump to a tty so I have to force a shutdown.
>> So, unless I have a way to generate a workable "xorg.conf" file, I
>> cannot try :-)

(...)

> Yes, you'll need a complete config, not just a snippet. This is a
> netbook of some kind? There are examples on the net:
>
> http://statics.inebium.com/downloads/posts/8/xorg.conf (for an EEEpc
> 1000he, e.g.)

Yes, it's a netbook (see the $subject ;-) ). Okay, I will download the
sample file and see how it goes.

(...)

No error this time, but with the mentioned xorg configuration file both,
mouse and keyboard, stopped from working at the gnome-keyring screen to
unlock something (the wireless connection, I guess) which means another
forced shutdown... ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón