Re: gpg/pgp noise

On Tue, 08 May 2012 05:43:17 -0500, Indulekha wrote:

> I'm getting this with most gog/pgp-signed mails received from this list
> (using mutt):
>
> [-- PGP output follows (current time: Tue 08 May 2012 05:35:27 AM CDT) --]
> gpgkeys: key 7356B378DEA22DE9 not found on keyserver
> gpg: Signature made Tue 08 May 2012 02:04:44 AM CDT using RSA key ID DEA22DE9
> gpg: requesting key DEA22DE9 from ldap server keyserver.pgp.com

And that's true. That key does not exist in the server.

> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> gpg: Total number processed: 0
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
> [-- End of PGP output --]
>
> [-- The following data is signed --]
>
> PGP signature could NOT be verified.
> ---------------------------------------

So what's wrong? I think all of the above is okay.

> My public key has been published,

Is it your own signature key? Then some step is missing or you made
something wrong.

> and I followed the exact procedure I used last time in muttrc to make
> this crap work.

If you think GPG/PGP is "crap", I wonder why is that you are using it.

> Am I powerless over other peoples' misconfigured gpg here, or does this
> indicate some error on my part?

Most probably, the latter.

> Anyone know a way to simply filter out all that annoying gpg/pgp noise?

(...)

IIRC, Mutt does not automatically verifies the signatures unless you
explicitly configure to do it so. Just disable that option.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón