Re: non-free Squeeze and sources.list

On Sat, 05 May 2012 22:39:24 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

> After upgrading from lenny to squeeze, an edgport 8-port RS-232 to usb
> adaptor died. A helpful error message said the driver for this device in
> squeeze was in the non-free software.

The exact message you get will help to diagnose the problem and find a
proper solution :-)

> No problem except I may have the wrong line in /etc/apt/sources.list
> which would be the preferred way to get it.

Then why not correct it?

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html

> So far, the closest I have come is a zip file that may or may not have
> the correct firmware driver in it and it looks like one must put it on
> removeable media and address it from sources.list that way.

It does not work that way... if you download an external zipped file you
have to extract the firmware and put it under your system's firmware
folder.

> 	The line I do have in sources.list is:
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian squeeze contrib non-free

You're missing the "main" repo.

> This does not seem to get it. Is there a line in sources.list to get
> firmware drivers?

Put here your whole "sources.list" file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón