Re: problem with video display in X

On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:29:02 -0400, Long Wind wrote:

> On 5/4/12, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 May 2012 14:19:42 -0400, Long Wind wrote:
>>

>> Xorg seems to be happier in Lenny so maybe something have changed in
>> between that makes it now to fail.
>>
>> Okay, so you can start with the simplest of the steps and proceed with
>> the first option I suggested (rename the current "xorg.conf" and
>> restart the computer to let the X server automatically detects the
>> card's capabilities) and then tell us how it goes.
>>
> I install debian 6 and find X doesn't work,

Better if you provide the X log for this error or tell us more about what
does not work, what are you seeing in the screen, what error..
something :-)

Remember that if X is not available or crashes you usually can still jump
to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and work from there. An X server is just
another non-vital piece of the whole puzzle that is your system.

> so I add the xorg.conf file to the /etc/X11 directory. the xorg.conf
> maybe from lenny (my memory is poor)

The X settings that once worked for Lenny can fail in Squeeze. You better
reconfigure the xorg server to generate a good "xorg.conf" file.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón