Re: i would like to know how i can upgrade to the latest kernel on debian squeeze.

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Gary Dale <garydale@rogers.com> wrote:
> On 02/05/12 03:33 PM, Joey L wrote:
>>
>> I thoiught it would be easy to google - how i can upgrade to the
>> latest kernel on debian squeeze.
>>
>> but apparently it is not as easy as i thought.
>> does anyone have a quick tutorial on how to do this ?

> To do an upgrade:
> - apt-get update
> - apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade (your choice - I prefer the
> latter)

Yes, if you aren't fully up-to-date.

How about "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade"?

> To upgrade to the latest kernel on kernel.org:
> Not recommended! The kernel interface changes all the time. Upgrading to a
> later kernel than your distro was built against can cause problems. If you
> need a later kernel for some reason, switch to a more up-to-date distro. For
> example, switching from Squeeze to Wheezy is a simple matter of running:
>  sed -i "s/stable/testing/g" /etc/apt/sources-list
>  apt-get update
>  apt-get dist-upgrade

I'm using 3.4-rc5 on a sid box without a hitch so saying that using a
kernel.org kernel isn't recommended is a bit of a stretch.

There's also no need to upgrade to wheezy (which I'd recommend doing
with a few more steps than above). The 3.2 kernel has been backported
to squeeze.

> You can also switch to Ubuntu, Linux Mint or any other distro that upgrades
> on a faster release cycle. However, by doing so, you will be losing out on
> Debian's amazing stability and reliability. The other distros are quite
> good, so this isn't usually a big issue, especially if you came from a
> Windows environment.

No comment.