Re: genisoimage and truncating of file names

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 01:16:54AM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I've just completed a blog posting about all of this, where you can
> see what I've done and in what order too.
>
> However, my final act was to burn the xaa.iso file to a dvd using k3b.
> Looking at the finished dvd I see that every file name is truncated to
> the first 12 characters, something which I think k3b is doing. Is
> there any way round this that folks know please? It seems a pity to
> spoil all the work done at the final step!
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

Eight-dot-three is technically 12 characters. I wouldn't be surprised if the
culprit is genisoimage and not k3b. It looks like the default filesystem is
ISO9660. The man page doesn't say which level, but Level 1 can't handle long
filenames.  If the filename length matters, I use the "-l" switch to enable
full 31-characters. There are other options that enable longer filenames. "man genisoimage" is your friend.

I find it amazing that splitting an iso file results in something a DVD player can read. Actually, this could be the problem too, depending on how the meta information about the filesystem is stored.

As others have said, it's probably best if you create multiple DVD-sized iso files rather than chopping up one giant file. It sure seems like there would be some script out there that handles disk spanning, but nothing came up with my initial google search. Maybe because everyone else does what I do, which is fire up Brasero and select the files by hand?

John