Re: Script request for files truncating with genisoimage

On 30/04/2012, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:09:02PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> i am using genisoimage on this folder ...../home/boztu/Music/Irish Celtic
>> Music Collection Version 2 .... which contains 2976 mp3s, but it is
>> truncating
>> the file names after the first word of their title. It appears to be doing
>> this
>> at the first space that it encounters, so I'm hoping someone can help me
>> by
>> suggesting a script that I can run that will remove all spaces in the
>> file
>> names, before .mp3, to enable genisoimage to run properly. The iso it
>> creates
>> is 18.9gbs in size and I then run split to make it into 4gb sized files to
>> be
>> burnt to dvds.
>>
>> Can you help me please? I realise that I'm asking a lot but script
>> writing is not something that I'm very good at and dont know where to
>> start.
>
> You're doing it wrong :-)
>
> Figure out how to use datapacker.  Please provide more info about how you've
> tried
> it so we can help you solve why it isn't working for you. (either in this
> thread
> or in the other.)
>
> Then, generate *multiple* ISOs, one for each disc you're going to burn, and
> use
> -r and -J arguments to genisoimage when you create these ISOs. The
> individual
> DVD images (which will be no larger than about 4.3G if you use datapacker
> correctly) will have the filenames correct.

But thats what I'm already doing except for using datapacker!

> Burn each of these ISOs individually.
>
> The approach you are using is doomed to failure. You're creating a gigantic
> ISO, which can't use Rock Ridge and/or Joliet due to the size, and so your
> filenames are limited to a max of I think 8 characters without spaces,
> which
> will make distinguishing *any* 2,976 files hard, even if you remove spaces
> and
> rename files to try and help. You're then splitting the ISO image up -
> which
> cannot be used again until recombined - and burning each bit individually,
> *as
> a file within another ISO image, one per disc*!  The net result is going to
> be
> five ISO filesystems on DVD-Rs, each containing a single file which is a
> chunk
> of a larger ISO filesystem, with the majority of the file metadata (their
> long
> file names) missing.

The big iso is split with 'split' to chuncks of 3.9gbs which are
playable, after being burned to dvd,  very easily using rhythmbox and
you have no way of knowing that you're hearing music off the dvd
drive.

Thanks
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.4, Gnome 1:2.30+7, LibreOffice 3.5.1