Re: Random system freezes - need your input

On 2012-04-25, Matthias Guentert <matthias.guentert@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> Lately I changed from Fedora to Debian squeeze on amd64. A few days
> later my system started to freeze randomly. I first noticed this
> behaviour while I was copying files from my system disk to my USB
> disk, but don't think this is the culprit. After having searched high
> and low on my system I am running out of ideas. Please find bellow the
> details of my researches.

Well, I've been bitten a few times by the logical fallacy referred to by
the Latin phrase _post hoc ergo propter hoc_, so I'm dubious concerning
the usb trail, although I'm as ignorant as I am dubious.

For every system freeze I have ever experienced, the guilty party was my
graphics card/driver combination, notably, my nvidia card with the
closed-source driver.  As it appears you have an nvidia video card, you may
wish to explore this possibility, if you haven't already.