Re: Networking borked on new squeeze install [SOLVED]

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 2:39 AM, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/04/12 12:38, Mat Enders wrote:
>> Here is a stumper.  I just completed a brand new installation of
>> Debian, during installation it could not reach the repositories so
>> only a base installation was completed.
>>
>> I am logged directly into the machine not via ssh.
>
> So you've proven the NIC works.
>
>> Network appears to
>> have configured correctly via dhcp.
>>
>> ifconfig says I have the correct network address
>> route -n shows the correct gateway
>> resolv.conf shows the correct DNS servers
>
> So - provided the gateway allows it, the box should be able to reach the
> internet....
>

>> from another machine on the network I can ping the gateway and www.google.com
>
> You've proven your gateway works, and your internet connection is
> functioning.
>
>> from the new install attempting to ping the gateway destination host
>> unreachable and for Google it says unknown host
>>
>> I can ssh into the machine via its IP address and I can ssh into other
>> machines on the network, from the newly installed machine, via their
>> IP address
>>
>> I am stumped any help would be appreciated.
>>
> Check your the firewall on your gateway device (/var/log/syslog,
> possibly dmesg).
>
> Unless you have a really unusual setup (unlikely on a fresh install) the
> problem must be at the gateway.
>

> Kind regards
>
> --
> Iceweasel/Firefox/Chrome/Chromium/Iceape/IE extensions for finding
> answers to questions about Debian:-
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/
>

> --

Solved someone on another list remembered for me that I had this same
problem several months ago where existing machines on the network
could get out but not new ones.  Rebooting the Netopia gateway solved
the problem.  Thanks to those who responded.

--
Mathew E. Enders

"Where once Samba and Apache sold Linux to the world they are now just
part of the plumbing.  But that's OK, plumbers make good money."
--Jeremy Allison