Re: 2nd try: reboot hangs

Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 15:14:50 -0400, Miles wrote in message
<[🔎] 4F7B4C2A.5030703@meetinghouse.net>:

Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 17:51:24 -0400, Miles wrote in message
<[🔎] 4F78CDDC.4060508@meetinghouse.net>:

Arnt Karlsen wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:31:31 -0400, Miles wrote in message
<4F75A7A3.4030803@meetinghouse.net>:

- or something else?
..you've tried a kexec reboot?
No... Looks like the Xen version of kexec
..nice troll, unless you meant the pxe version,
no, I mean the version of kexec that is under development to work
with a xen hypervisor underneath a Debian Dom0

the standard kexec-tools, at least the Squeeze package, can't seem to
load an image - pretty much anything I try with kexec -l, gives me a
"can't load" message, kexec -e says "nothing loaded"  (note: this is
following the instructions on the xen developers wiki re. how to
invoke kexec when running on xen)

a little digging yields information that the proper bits for using
kexec w/ xen are still under development - the proper package isn't
in the sqeeze repo, and I haven't gone looking in sid
..well, that and experimental is where you wanna look for new
stuff that works (and not).

yeah... but what I'm trying to debug is old and not experimental - rebooting through the bios to handle old and quirky machines

I've been having a devil of a time trying to find out:

1. why reboot.c, in the linux kernel, only supports reboot=bios for X86_32 architectures (somebody must know why this can't, or doesn't, work for X86_64) - but I can't seem to track this down

2. a workaround that doesn't involve hacking the kernel, or playing with bleeding edge tools, to solve a problem that will die with an older piece of hardware and bios

Miles