Re: Xerox Phaser 3140

On 04/04/12 21:12, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 04 Apr 2012 at 08:44:12 +0000, James Brown wrote:
>
>> By some reasons I want to buy a printer of "Xerox Phaser 3140".
>> Is it workable under Debian squeeze? Anyone have experience with the
>> printer Xerox Phaser 3140 under squeeze?
>> There are no drivers of it in the cups-package from distr. There are
>> only drivers for 3150 in database of openprinting too.
>> There are propietary drivers for Linux from the Xerox company:
>> http://www.support.xerox.com/support/phaser-3140/downloads/enza.html?operatingSystem=linux&fileLanguage=ru&x=16&y=5
>> but only for lenny and older Debian versions.
>
> There is a PPD file for this printer in the printer-driver-splix package
> in unstable. You could extract it and provide it to CUPS.

Sound very feasible - I've done a similar thing with Xerox Phaser 3124
printers.

Note to OP. Bear in mind that the price of the printer is often less
that the price of the refill. The drum is part of the refill and is very
sensitive. Once removed from it's wrapping the drum will "go off" in
under 6 months if kept in a warm place (even without use). You can use a
refill in three packs of paper - these cheap little printers don't print
cheap.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-