Re: debian-faq (was ... Re: upgrade to Wheezy fails with aptitude)

On Mi, 04 apr 12, 11:38:29, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> My suggestions:-
>
> 1. rephrased for clarity, but hardly succint.
> Note that since Lenny, apt-get installs recommended[*1] packages by default.
> Beginning with the release of Squeeze[*2], apt is the recommended
> program to perform system installation and major system upgrades.
>
> 2. How I'd write it:-
> Apt is the recommended program to perform system installation and major
> system upgrades.[*3]
>
> 3. To avoid confusion people should read the fine Debian documentation
> in their native language.

Not fair, most languages don't have enough contributors to translate the
documentation, and translations may have issues themselves.

> [*1] tempting to treat that as a noun :-)

I see where you're coming from, but wouldn't it be too much jargon?

> [*2] Surely outdated advice for archived releases belongs in the
> archives. IMO counter arguments don't belong in documentation, they
> usually only appear there as a futile attempt to quiet the trolls.

Do you mean the mention of aptitude? I don't see it as a counter
argument, but a genuine recommendation. As mentioned elsewhere in this
thread, it's very useful for me and probably others too.

One more try:

    Note that since Lenny, apt-get installs recommended packages by
    default. Beginning with the release of Squeeze, apt-get is also the
    recommended program to perform system installation and major system
    upgrades. aptitude may be preferred for interactive use.

> [*3] "it's not what it said last year" Likewise the weather forecast.
> "in my day we wore onions on our belts" We call it evolution. Move along.

He, he :)

Kind regards,
Andrei