Re: [OT] Re: correct English usage

On 03/04/12 19:21, Camaleón wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 18:39:03 +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

In this post, "indicated for" is probably the wrong term for the
context. It roughly means "prescribed". It is unclear what you really
mean, but I would guess "capable of".

Mmm... yes.

How about "appropriate"? Or "prepared"? "suited"? "qualified"? I could
have chosen any of those, in my non-English mind they all sound the same
good :-P

I like "Suited". "Qualified" contains an element of academicity, which may be appropriate. "Prepared" signifies a willingness; maybe OK here. "Appropriate" would generally be used to indicate correctness. Use any of them, but apart from suited, it may sound artificial.

"Ulterior" is certainly not a synonym for "posterior",

But it was, that's what I meant. It's not a term I would neither use in
my own language but it is still perfectly correct.

Maybe, but you wouldn't pass for a native speaker, and that's what this is all about, isn't it? If I'm wrong about that, then all bets are off; use whatever word takes your fancy!

"Neither" is OK, but in the wrong place in this context. You may have better expressed it as "Neither is it a term that I would use ...".

and a Latin Lover is something totally different ;)

Damn. I precisely enclosed "old Latin" in double quotes and used
uppercase "L" to avoid misinterpretations>:-)

Yes, I know. I was trying to introduce some levity. Hence the winkie!

--
Tony van der Hoff  | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Ariège, France     |