Re: correct English usage

On 03/04/12 21:36, consultores wrote:
On 04/03/2012 09:05 AM, Indulekha wrote:
you wrote:
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 05:29:56 -0500
Indulekha<indulekha@theunworthy.com> wrote:
Are all these distionnaries wrong?

There is nothing wrong with your English or those definitions,
they're just obscure and have fallen out of popular usage. I've
frequently observed that people for whom English is a second
language are more literate that the average American.

There IS something wrong with his English, and several have tried to
explain it -- he's using a word contrary to its established common
meaning. If he's more interested in impressing dictionary editors than
in conveying his idea, more power to him. Otherwise, he should accept
the explanation offered by native speakers.

It's pretty arrogant to suggest that native speakers of another
language are less literate than you, because your own understanding
differs from theirs.

Well, my understanding is that of an English-speaking American. So,
shall I fetch a stepladder so you can get down from that high horse?
:D

Having known many people from many countries over the decades, I
am quite confident that what I said is true.

I have lost this thread, but please, remember that in US, Belize,
Canada, and English Guyana; the spoken language is a dialect of English;
and easily can be confirmed, because of the use of expressions as
"American English" (only 4 different dialects in America), "American"
(USian); in America the predominant language is a mixture of Spanish
dialects!

The other point, is that native speaker, does not mean "excellence"; it
only mean that this person just speaks one dialect/language from the
begining of his life!

+1