Re: correct English usage

On Tuesday 03 April 2012 11:29:56 Indulekha wrote:
> I've
> frequently observed that people for whom English is a second
> language are more literate that the average American.

Yes, but their English is noy as good.

Words that have fallen out of use cannot just be used in their obsolete
meanings willy nilly.  For example, if I talk about you preventing me, I mean
obstructing me, not going in front of me, leading me.

If you doubt the correctness of this, stand in any British High Street late on
a Friday night, pick a particularly drunk, macho looking ,man with his arms
round a girl, and tell him loudly that he is gay.  I recommend then running
off as fast as you can manage, and hoping that he is not an athlete.

Lisi