Re: No sound with new install

Nick White <nick.white@durham.ac.uk> wrote:

> I installed Debian last week (for the first time), and things
> generally went very nicely.
> One thing which isn't yet working though is sound.

I did an installation of a Wheezy-system about a month ago and ran into
the same problem: No sound. I did not take notes as to how I got sound
working (I am rather impatient with these kind of problems), but to my
recollection, it ran along these lines:

At some point (not during the installation but later) I got an error
message informing me that the file:

   /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf

was obsolete (or something to that effect), I then renamed the file:

   $ sudo mv /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf.org

and thereafter I did:

   $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

and actually I think that solved my problem at that point. You could try
renaming or deleting the above mentioned file and see if it does not help
you.

However, sometime later, sound once again stopped working (for whatever
reason I do not know). I then proceeded to delete all packages related to
pulseaudio, leaving me with only alsa sound packages.

I ran:

   $ aplay -l
   card 1: Aureon51MkII [Aureon5.1MkII], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

to find out what number my sound card had (it was number '1').
I then put these two lines into $HOME/.asoundrc:

   defaults.pcm.card 1
   defaults.ctl.card 1

(you should replace '1' with '0' in the above two lines)

and then

   $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

and bingo, sound has worked for me ever since.

I do not know if it will solve your problem, as it seems you have other
issues, but try it and then run the speaker test mentioned elsewhere in
this thread.

Obviously your sound cards output channel must not be muted. You open it
up with a sound mixer, but I did note that you could not run that. Try
and google for the error message that you got in regard.

Regards,
Morten