Re: OT: change of mail provider

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 14:29:51 -0500, Indulekha wrote:

> In linux.debian.user, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> I don't use Gmail's webmail but Mutt and Pan (newsreader).
>>

> Me too, except it's mutt and slrn. The mail for my domains is hosted by
> gmail for four years now, never had any trouble beyond an outage that
> lasted about four hours once.

Yes, and that's precisely what makes me doubt for migrating to another
provider: Gmail's reliability is very good.

I first used my ISP e-mail facility (@telefonica.net) but it had (has?)
two big problems:

1/ Their e-mail service is very poor (timed based pop3 logins, smtp
service slow and more than often their e-mail servers are down/
unaccessible, in brief, a very unreliable service).

2/ The e-mail service is binded to their phone line services which means
that if you stop using their DSL or land line service you also lose the e-
mail address. Too bad.

But Google services are starting to worrying me because they want to
control almost any aspect of what you do and how it has to be done.
Although I know how to prevent being tracked I don't like that policy so
much, it's a matter of principles :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón