Re: octave versus scilab

On Sun, Apr 01, 2012 at 09:54:50PM +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> hi,
> I want to choose between octave and scilab, somebody can give us     an
> overview
> about advantages and disadvantages for each.
> Now I am using  scilab 5.3  and I have a problem ( with graphic interface)
> because it uses java and opengl for the interface.  the devloppers said
> that the pb will be fixed in next version??!!!
>

> I want to switch to octave, before i want to be sure that is the good
> decision!!

Hi Abdelkader, I have used octave but not scilab so I can't compare
the two but I have been following the development of octave and it
seems to be in good hands. As you perhaps know then octave is almost
compatible with matlab but the major obstacle with octave was theyr
bad implementation of loops, don't know if this is fixed yet. But then
again since octave is a matrix calculation software the your better
off by turning every calculation into a matrix calculation then doing
loops.

I don't know about graphical interfaces for octave, never used one, I
just write my .m files and run them.

Octave uses advanced numerical libraries so you don't have to worry
much about performance.

That is my take on octave, as I say I have never used scilab so I
can't really compare the two.

HTH

Oli