Re: rt kernel and nouveau

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Ma, 27 mar 12, 16:45:39, Tom H wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Andrei POPESCU
>> <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think this is the only feature of grub1 that I missed.
>>
>> Why can't you do the same with grub2?
>
> Not implemented. I remember some discussion about it (probably in
> upstream BTS, for Debian I can only find #601940), but apparently
> nothing came out of it.

Do you mean this? (I don't know enough about u-a to understand why
"--force" is needed...)

[root@sidbox:~] # update-alternatives --install
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig grub2cfg /bin/true 1
update-alternatives: using /bin/true to provide
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig (grub2cfg) in auto mode.
update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig with a link.
[root@sidbox:~] # update-alternatives --force --install
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig grub2cfg /bin/true 1
update-alternatives: using /bin/true to provide
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig (grub2cfg) in auto mode.
[root@sidbox:~] #

[I wish that they'd make the changes needed to make the 601940 wish
list bug come true. The automagic setup was a Debianism that would
probably need a Debian developer working upstream/with upstream to
patch and push. A few years ago, grub2's upstream rejected another
grub1 automatic Debianism, "howmany".]