Logs normalization (was: Can no longer mount SDHC card)

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:32:55 -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>>> Take a look at /etc/rsyslog.conf
>>
>> Nothing of interest (for the matter) here.
>>
>>> and
>>> 	man rsyslog.conf rsyslogd
>>
>> Still no way to know where messages are being dropped.
>>
>> I would like to see more integration/compatibility in this regard
>> coming
>> from all distributions.
>>
>>> All your questions will be answered (albeit cryptically) there.
>>
>> Mmm... I'm afraid they're not ;-)
>>

> Perhaps I didn't understand your question.
>
> Those man pages, along with the rsyslog.conf file will give you the
> general rules governing which messages get sent into which log files.

Yes. And this is the same for every distribution. But no, I was not
speaking about that but the differences between linux distributions which
configure different logging settings.

For example, and as I said before, there is no "/var/log/syslog" in
openSUSE and what Debian sends to syslog openSUSE sends it to "/var/log/
messages" which is also available in Debian but holding different
information.

Which is nothing but a bit of mess for system administratrors and that's
why I would like to see a higher degree of integration (standardization)
in this field, logs (at least for me) are an important part of any
operating system.

> Any particular messages will be a special case of those general rules.
> I did say that they were cryptic.  So the application of the rules may
> require specialized knowledge, often available only by examining the
> source code.

Yes, I know it can be tweaked but I was referring to the defaults.

> Perhaps your question was prompted by the need for that specialized
> knowledge?  If that's the case, I apologize for misunderstanding.

Well, it's far more simpler than that: I was only "whining" for not
having the same log files, located in the same place and holding the same
information between the different distributions :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón