Re: dir is not ls

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 15:37, Jonathan McCrohan <jmccrohan@gmail.com> wrote:

> jmccrohan@lambda:~$ which dir
> /bin/dir
> jmccrohan@lambda:~$ dpkg -S /bin/dir
> coreutils: /bin/dir
>
> dir is located in /bin, and part of the coreutils package.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon, Brad, and Kelly,

I'm astonished! 'dir' is now officially a linux command! My gosh.
<funny> I leave you mainteners alone for a couple of weeks and you
come up with this? 'Outrageous!', quoting Judge Judy. </funny>

Well, now I know why I couldn't find the hidden alias. It is an *argh*
linux binary at /bin. Thanks, guys.

Camaleón, after this incredible (unbelievable?) information, I came up
with this:

beco@iguana:~$ alias dir='echo Tip of the day: in your Windows box
open notepad, type @dir /w /p %* and save as ls.bat in
C:\\Windows\\System32\\'
beco@iguana:~$ dir
Tip of the day: in your Windows box open notepad, type @dir /w /p %*
and save as ls.bat in C:\Windows\System32\
beco@iguana:~$

Just save the alias in /etc/profile.d/bash_aliases.sh and we are done.
(But I think a rm /bin/dir is also applicable)

Claudius and Jochen, your humor with 'sl' was noted and appreciated,
but I need something simpler as I allow users to connect from limited
resources devices with strange configurations of terminal - like
blackberry for example (*) - and other phones, it's better just give
an 'echo' (it will annoy them enough!).

Thanks all!
Beco

(*) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSmu0gsefh4
 Speaks non-english, but abstract under video in english.

--
Dr. Beco
A.I. research, Cognitive Scientist and Philosopher