Re: LUKS/ dm-crypt/ ext4 appears to be single threaded

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, David Christensen wrote:
> with ext4. I've noticed what appears to be single-threaded behavior

> Is this a fundamental limitation of LUKS, dm-crypt, and/or ext4, or
> something I've configured/ misconfigured?

It is a limitation of dm-crypt.

Just get a box with a supported very-high-speed AES hardware accelerator
(e.g. recent amd64/x86-64 processors with AES-NI), and tune your dm-crypt
usage to cyphers that can be hardware accelerated.  Even single-threaded
AES-NI dm-crypt would be much faster than multithreaded non-accelerated
dm-crypt, AFAIK.

> Some manufacturers make hard drives with built-in encryption.  Are
> these supported by Debian, Linux, or BSD?

Yes, although it often requires proper support from the EFI/BIOS for it to
be usable in the boot device (and also on the image device when using
suspend-to-disk).  YMMV.

> Any other comments or suggestions?

You better do your homework if you're going to trust the vendors of
self-encripting devices.

  Henrique Holschuh