I cannot log in to my debian wheezy system!

Hola!

My system, debian wheezy amd-64, refuses to recognize my password. I am sure I am typing it correctly.

I was able to , at login time, where grub pauses to ask which kernel tyo uise,
to choose the maintenance option, dropping me to a shell. There I was able to type

sudo passwd kjetil

which asked to give a new password, which I repeated

then it said password succesfully changed. But no effect,
I can still not login!

What is happeninmg?

Kjetil

--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the human face - forever."

George Orwell (1984)