Re: CUPS

> Charles -
>
> Thanks.
>
> I am trying to install the stable version.  I can't make it work.

My previous post was the easy way to return CUPS from unstable to testing, not
intended to be a briefing for a decent into hell. [with apologies to Doris
Lessing]

> Here is what I did:

> rosenberg:/var/www/Webpages2# dpkg -P  cups1.5.2-5
> dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove cups1.5.2-5 which isn't installed.
> rosenberg:/var/www/Webpages2#  dpkg -i cups1.4.4-7
> dpkg: error processing cups1.4.4-7 (--install):
>   cannot access archive: No such file or directory
>   cups1.4.4-7
>
> Help and advice, please.
>
> Ethan

It would seem like a clear case of not having the stable sources
available in your sources.list or the dependencies you need wont work on sid.
I don't really know.

You might try:

#apt-get -f install

or #dpkg --configure -a

after the above message, and see what happens.

If you're feeling lucky:

#dpkg -force-depends -force-architecture -force-overwrite -i [CUPS
1.4.4-7 as a .deb file]

I don't recommend that.

If you want to run the stable version of CUPS that will work with your
printer, maybe you should install the stable version of Debian .iso on another
partition. You will still have the sid version you're messing with now and
have the stable version for the printing. Grub-pc will sus out all the
bootable partitions on your computer after using the stable installer. You'll
have a handy menu to select from.

--
CK