Re: how to figure out what is doing power management on my fresh sid laptop

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 10:30:41 -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:

(...)

> What do I do to see what is happening? What is the right way to
> configure it so that it will work? Does the team responsible for debian
> power management such as suspend and hibernate  have a design document
> or a web site or mailing list that I can read to find out about how
> things work now that hal is deprecated.
>
> I figure I must use some kind of combination of acpid and pm-utils and
> cpufreqd and uswsusp.
>
> I see a gentoo power management guide. I wish I could tell what is going
> on, what is already configured and what to fix to make my system use
> power proportionaly to my needs and sleep when I am reading a book.
>
> Note that I run sid to keep up  with the latest and am more than willing
> to tinker. I just wish I had more information to use to figure  out what
> is happening.

There are two wiki pages which I've found very useful to understand the
big picture of pm-utils and power management inners on any modern linux
distribution:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pm-utils
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Pm-utils

Beyond that, YMMV. It will depend on how are you calling/triggering the
events (this is highly dependable on your DE, if there's any in place).

To see what's going on you can make two things:

1/ Running pm-utils from command line
2/ Reading the log (/var/log/suspend.log)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón